Beginnings: Matinecocks resided on the Little Neck Peninsula. Among the first settlers was an English Quaker, Thomas Fleet, who in 1660 built a home by a small cove that still bears his name. The name Centerport reflected the community's position midway between the boundaries of the Town of Huntington. The hamlet was strongly anti-British during the Revolution. After the war, baymen worked the waters and sailing vessels carried grain to mills and left with barrels of flour.
Photo: An easy Sunday in 1895 at Centerport's Camp Alvernia, the nation's first Catholic summer camp.