69°

Topics

Fort Salonga

Beginnings: In 1695 Sarah Smith, wife of Smithtown founder Richard (Bull) Smith, deeded to her son Daniel 100 acres at Bread and Cheese Hollow, also known as Fresh Pond. There were clay deposits in the area which are believed to have been used by the Indians for making pottery. In 1684, the Long Island Brick Co. was established and for more than 200 years bricks from the area were shipped all over Long Island and to New England.
Photo: House once owned by Booker T Washington, Cousins St. in Ft. Salonga (Newsday file photo / Bob Luckey)

Loading