Topics

Calverton
Calverton

Beginnings: Named in 1868 for Bernard J. Calvert, the hamlet's first postmaster, Calverton was essentially a farming community carved out of marshland. Earlier, it was called Baiting Hollow Station after the railroad came in 1844 and, alternately, as Hulse's Turnout, indicating the point travelers turned north to Hulses' place in Wading River. The Indians called it Conungum or Kanungum, meaning "fixed line'' or "boundary.''
Photo: Canoe Lake in Calverton

Loading