Beginnings: Indians dubbed the area around the headwaters of the Nissequogue River Hauppauge meaning "overflowed land". With the arrival of the Europeans, the area was divided between Smithtown and Islip. On the Smithtown side, the land was owned by Richard Smith. But the first settler was Thomas Wheeler. The area became known as The Wheelers. That name stuck until 1843, when it reverted to Hauppauge.
Photo: A view at Hauppauge