Beginnings: These three communities have shared their histories for three centuries. European activity in the area dates to 1677, when Smithtown founder Richard Smith began deeding land on Stony Brook Neck - in what is now Head of the Harbor - to one of his sons, Adam. Adam Smith constructed the first house on the east side of Three Sisters Harbor, now known as Stony Brook Harbor. Starting in the 1690s, Richard Smith deeded land in what is now Nissequogue to his other children and they established farms.
Photo: The Everett Smith General Store, built in 1856 and seen here in earlier times, stands today as the Saint James General Store, the oldest continuously run shop of its kind in the country. (Smithtown Historical Society)