L.A. Now
Vehicles stranded, roads closed by ruptured water main near UCLA
87°

Topics

Laurel

Beginnings: Because it was situated midway between Aquebogue and Mattituck on the North Fork, Laurel was known for many years as Middle District. When Riverhead Town split from Southold in 1792, the new border ran through the little farming community, dividing it in half. Middle District later became Franklinville some time before residents formed their own Presbyterian church in 1831, and finally Franklinville became Laurel in 1890. The substitution may have been inspired by the area's abundance of laurel trees and bushes.

Loading