CHICAGO—Several people were injured this morning in an extra-alarm fire at a senior citizen high-rise on the West Side.
One person was taken to the University of Illinois Medical Center in serious condition. Four others were taken to area hospitals with what is considered to be minor injuries.
According to initial reports, the high-rise fire started when a mattress caught on fire.
"When companies got in place they saw that it extended beyond just the mattress," Assistant Deputy Fire Commissioner Mark Nielsen told reporters. "The door in the apartment had been left open so that was a huge problem insofar as smoke spread."
When a door is left open the fire has oxygen and a way to spread. Several units in the 22-story senior high-rise at 1633 West Madison Street sustained heavy damage.
All of those injured in the fire are expected to survive. The Fire Department said everyone was conscious, alert and talking.
There were a number of evacuations for those in the path of the smoke and flames, but the Fire Department says most of the residents were advised to stay put.