Armen Kasabian, MD is Chief of Plastic Surgery and Reconstruction in the North Shore-LIJ Health System, and an Assistant Professor of Surgery NYU School of Medicine. He stopped by to tell us about breast reconstruction options.
1. All patients must be counseled on breast reconstruction when being treated for Breast cancer by law.
2. Insurance companies are required to pay for breast reconstruction if they pay for mastectomy.
3. Surgery on the non cancerous breast for symmetry is covered by insurance. (either prophylactic mastectomy or reduction or augmentation)
Breast Reconstruction options
1. Tissue Expander and Implant
2. Direct to Implant
- Abdominal flap
-- Pedicled TRAM
Breast Reconstruction timing
Nipple Sparing Reconstruction
-Small Breasts only.
leaves some breast tissue behind, not good for tumor near nipple
Factors affecting Reconstruction Options
2. Medical problems
4. Size of Breasts
5. Previous abdominal surgery
For more information, visit www.northshorelij.com.
Breast Cancer Awareness: Breast Reconstruction
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more about the new features.
Los Angeles Times welcomes civil dialogue about our stories; you must register with the site to participate. We filter comments for language and adherence to our Terms of Service, but not for factual accuracy. By commenting, you agree to these legal terms. Please flag inappropriate comments.
Having technical problems? Check here for guidance.