When only the best will do, head to Jodhpur, India, for a stay at an opulent 20th century palace. It along with two California hotels took top spots on the list of best hotels in 2016, as selected by Tripadvisor travelers.
Taj Hotels manages 64 rooms and suites at the expansive palace built between 1929 and 1943. Other parts remain a private residence (it has 347 rooms) and a museum.
In the U.S., two California wine estates impressed the TripAdvisor crowd.
Boutique hotels (rather than the usual high-end chains), some quite affordable, made the cut.
The best hotels in the U.S., and average nightly prices (as they appear on TripAdvisor), are:
1. The Sherry-Netherland Hotel in New York City, $615
2. Bardessono in Yountville, $754
3. The Nantucket Hotel & Resort in Massachusetts, $229
4. French Quarter Inn in Charleston, S.C., $475
5. The Oxford Hotel in Bend, Ore., $339
6. Ponte Vineyard Inn in Temecula, $311
7. Icona Diamond Beach in Wildwood Crest, N.J., $221
8. The Talbott Hotel in Chicago, $255
9. Belamere Suites in Perrysburg, Ohio, $242
10. Casablanca Hotel Times Square in New York City, $375
Hotels that made the world's best list, and average nightly prices, are:
1. Umaid Bhawan Palace in Jodhpur, $734
2. Shinta Mani Resort in Siem Reap, Cambodia, $199
3. Bellevue Syrene in Sorrento, Italy, $562
4. Hanoi La-Siesta Hotel & Spa in Hanoi, $109
5. Achtis Hotel in Afitos, Greece, $100
6. Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat-Saisons in Great Milton, Britain, $1,162
7. Mirihi Island Resort in Mirihi, Maldives, $1,059
8. Bucuti & Tara Beach Resorts Aruba in Palm-Eagle Beach, Aruba, $468
9. Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel & Spa in Lance aux Epines in Grenada, $806
10. Hotel Ritta Hoppner in Gramado, Brazil, $185
TripAdvisor says it culls through millions of reviews and opinions each year to find hotels with "remarkable service, quality and value."
Check out the entire list at 2016 Travelers' Choice hotel awards.