1. Sailor's Thai, 106 George St., the Rocks; 9251-2466. Very smart and contemporary with a relaxed, urban crowd. Entrees average $24.
3. Fish Face Restaurant & Sushi Bar, 132 Darlinghurst Road, Darlinghurst; 9332-4803, http://www.fishface.com.au . Adorable little fish restaurant from former chef at the Pier. Open only at dinner. A handful of tables on the street. The fish and chips are the best on the planet. Entrees $19-$24.
4. Tetsuya's, 529 Kent St.; 9267-2900. Probably the most famous restaurant in Sydney. Has an internal garden. Tasting menu is the only option: $138.
5. Longrain, 85 Commonwealth St., Surry Hills; 9280-2888. Open at lunch, but the real scene is at night. Entrees $19-$30.
6. Marque Restaurant, 355 Crown St., Surry Hills; 9332-2225, http://www.marquerestaurant.com.au . The restaurant is plain, but the French food is amazing. Entrees $23-$34, tasting menu $95 per person.
7. Billy Kwong, 355 Crown St., Shop 3, Surry Hills; 9332-3300. Great fun atmosphere and beautiful people. Chinese armoires, mysterious lighting, astonishing tropical flower arrangements, open kitchen. Entrees $17-$30.
8. Spice I Am, 90 Wentworth Ave., Surry Hills; 9280 0928. Hole-in-the-wall Thai place where people sit on plastic Chinese drum-stools. Entrees $5-$11.
9. The Book Kitchen, 255 Devonshire St., Surry Hills; 9310-1003, http://www.thebookkitchen.com.au . Fun — and new — place in trendy neighborhood. Entrees $9-$22.
10. The Boathouse on Blackwattle Bay, at the end of Ferry Road, Glebe; 9518-9011, http://www.boathouse.net.au . Right on the bay. Entrees $29-$32.
11. Pier Restaurant, 594 New South Head Road, Rose Bay; 9327-6561, http://www.pierrestaurant.com.au . Greg Doyle cooks the best and freshest fish in town and serves it in a smart, glass-walled restaurant on a pier. Entrees in the $35 range.
12. Sean's Panaroma, 270 Campbell Parade, Bondi Beach; 9365-4924. Funky beach restaurant with beachy décor, fun atmosphere. Entrees $27-$34.
13. Icebergs on Bondi Beach, 1 Notts Ave., Bondi Beach (at Campbell Parade); 9365-9000, http://www.idrb.com . Lunch and dinner Tuesdays through Sundays. Spectacular setting on Bondi Beach. Entrees $24-$33.
TO LEARN MORE:
Tourism Australia, (800) 333-0262, http://www.australia.com .
— S. Irene Virbila