California beaches in Carlsbad and Lake Tahoe (lake beaches count!) made Family Vacation Critic's list of the 10 best U.S. beaches for families in 2015.
Lincoln City Beach in Lincoln, Ore., won top honors.
What makes for a family-friendly beach? Editors at the website, which is part of TripAdvisor, looked for beautiful beaches that also had nearby lodgings, restaurants and entertainment options that would be convenient for families.
The presence of lifeguards (a big plus), family activities, beach rentals and food stands were taken into consideration too.
If you're planning a beach vacation this summer, let the list be your guide.
1. Lincoln City Beach in Lincoln, Ore., on the coast about 100 miles southwest of Portland.
2. Virginia Beach in Virginia Beach, Va.
3. Ogunquit Beach in Ogunquit, Maine
4. Manatee Beach in Holmes, Fla.
5. Carlsbad State Beach in Carlsbad
6. Fort De Soto Park in Tierra Verde, Fla.
7. Rehoboth Beach in Rehoboth, Del.
8. Crescent Beach on Block Island, R.I.
9. Cape May Beaches in Cape May, N.J.
10. Kings Beach on the north shore of Lake Tahoe, Calif.