Looking for a good travel deal in the post-Super Bowl doldrums of February? Discounts are offered on trains, boats and planes -- and you don't have to go to snow-filled cities to get a bargain either.
1. Hyatt Ziva and Zilara: Dissolve into swim-up luxury for half the price at Hyatt's all-inclusive resorts in Cancun and Puerto Vallarta. The savings are great -- up to 55% off -- at Hyatt Zilara Cancun and Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta. You must reserve by Feb. 28 for stays through Aug. 31.
An example: A room for two at the Puerto Vallarta resort over Valentine's Day (Feb. 12 to 15) starts at $369 a night instead of $820 a night (excluding taxes). The deal, also good at two Jamaica resorts, is based on availability.
Note that Zilara is adults only; Ziva allows children and families.
Info: Hyatt Zila/Hyatt Zilara, (800) 720-0051.
2. Rancho Valencia Resort & Spa: The Rancho Santa Fe resort not far from San Diego has been picking up top honors just one month into the new year. It most recently snagged five diamonds from AAA and a best U.S. hotel shout out from U.S. News & World Report.
If you want to see what all the buzz is about at the 52-room resort (they call them casitas), it's offering 25% off room rates in February. Best to call to get this deal; it's based on availability and some blackout dates apply.
I found the deal available the last week in February for $451 a night plus tax for a 1,000-square-foot Olive Grove Suite with whirlpool spa and patio. These suites usually costs $600 to $860 a night.
Info: Rancho Valencia Resort & Spa, (866) 233-6708
3. Amtrak California: Amtrak California is offering a Sweetheart Deal in February that's good for Valentine's Day or any day of the month: Buy a full-fare adult ticket and receive half-off a second ticket. It's good for trips on the Pacific Surfliner (operates between San Luis Obispo and San Diego with a stop in L.A.) or San Joaquin Line (runs between Bakersfield and the San Francisco area through the Central Valley).
No blackout dates on this deal but you have to reserve at least three days before you travel. Use the code "V613" to book a trip between Feb. 1 and 28.
Info: Amtrak's Sweetheart Deal
4. Alaska Airlines: If you pick airlines based on punctuality, Alaska Airlines just won FlightStats' top award for On-Time Performance Service among North American airlines. Now the airline offers an extra perk too -- for the next few months.
In February and March, Alaska fliers will be able to stream free premium movies and TV shows on their electronic devices. (Starting April 1, it costs $1.99.)
The airline also is rolling out new in-flight tablets that fliers may rent on long-haul flights for $8 to $10. (First class gets them for free). They come equipped with Xbox games, Internet access, movies, etc.
Info: Alaska Airlines
5. Hertz: The car-rental company makes this offer for reservations made until Feb. 28: Pay when you book for a weekend rental and receive a 25% discount.
An example: The "pay now" discount means a Kia Rio costs $21.99 a day and a Toyota Corolla costs $25.99 at San Francisco Airport during Presidents Day weekend (Feb. 13 to 16). Regular "pay now" rates cost $37.40 and $38.25, respectively. Prices don't include tax.