Keep the spirit of summer alive. Here are options and opportunities for one last family getaway.
1. Float the Grand Canyon. The experienced river and sea outfitter O.A.R.S. has an additional departure before the Grand Canyon rafting season closes. Join the entire 15-day adventure, launching from Lee's Ferry in northern Arizona on Sept. 26 and ending at Diamond Creek on Oct. 10. Or, float for the first seven days and take out at Phantom Ranch or sign on for the final nine days. Kids must be at least 12 years old and enjoy an active adventure. Meals and gear are included.
2. "Summer Like a Local," New York City. Check in to Kimpton's Eventi Hotel in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood, and the staff will make your family feel right at home. From now through Sept. 5 as part of the "Summer Like a Local" campaign, you'll receive insider tips on shopping, restaurants and other hot spots as well as upgrades. Participate in morning yoga on an outdoor terrace and evening movies on the plaza. Follow Kimpton and Eventi on Facebook, and you'll receive additional freebies such as hotel amenities and tickets to local events. Ask about options available through the Kimpton Kids program.
Contact: 1-866-996-8396; http://www.eventihotel.com.
3. Panama City Beach, Fla. Enjoy a last-minute, affordable beach getaway at Laketown Wharf on Florida's Gulf Coast. By day, build castles with the white sand and cool off in the emerald waters or enjoy family fun in and around five resort pools. Take it easy in one-, two- and three-bedroom condominium-style accommodations that include full kitchens, free Wi-Fi, and washer and dryer units. Rates start at $99 per night (two-night minimum) now through October.
Contact: 1-866-880-9360; http://www.laketownwharf.com.
4. Four for $74, Breckenridge, Colo. From now through Sept. 16, groups of four can stay four nights in a two-bedroom condo and enjoy four activities for $74 dollars per person, per night. Get ready for biking, horseback riding, a rafting trip and mining tour. Also look forward to cool mountain air, hiking and family-friendly restaurants in this Rocky Mountain town.
Contact: 1-800-462-7325; http://www.breckcenres.com.
5. Segway Tour Package, Chicago. Before the temperatures drop, discover Chicago's scenic lakefront and winding paths via Segway. Your family (12 and older) cruises easily through the Windy City, the birthplace of the skyscraper and now home to 3.5 million. The package includes overnight accommodations at Hotel 71, the Segway tour, snacks for the tour and a $50 credit for Hoyt's Restaurant in the hotel.
Contact: 312-346-7100; http://www.hotel71.com/specials-en.html.
Ideas for an end-of-summer family vacation
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more about the new features.
Los Angeles Times welcomes civil dialogue about our stories; you must register with the site to participate. We filter comments for language and adherence to our Terms of Service, but not for factual accuracy. By commenting, you agree to these legal terms. Please flag inappropriate comments.
Having technical problems? Check here for guidance.