Who is The Dekadent Diva?
Well, to many good friends I'm the girl next door with an appetite as big as her heart, witty sense of humor and incredible taste in ... pretty much everything. To some, I'm recognized as Nikki Kaapke from the long time running and popular reality television series "The Bachelor" & "Bachelor Pad".
Once the romance, roses, and limousines are gone what's left? FOOD! That's right. No matter how your day has been, what party you're attending or who you're toasting to ... food and sparkling glasses of something fabulously delicious are always there, waiting to be enjoyed.
Beyond the TV cameras, stage lights, sequin gowns and life in "The Bachelor" world, I was once a beauty queen. After a decade of pageantry and to put it so boldly "eating like a bird", I decided to hang up my crown & sash and trade them for a pretty apron & whisk. Now I spend my days brainstorming on what fantastic dish I can whip up for dinner, Sunday brunch or as a treat after a long day at the office.
After many wonderful friends lovingly nudged me in this direction of my life I created "The Dekadent Diva", opening the flood gates to MY version of cooking, delectable goodies, savory treats and splurges that everyone should allow themselves. Through this cookbook you will learn my vices of anything and everything covered in frosting, cocktails and the introductions of "Champagne Thursdays" and "Frosting Fridays".
So please, pop open a nice bottle of wine, slip on an apron and join me in my never ending relationship with the always reliable and comforting plate of something that makes you want to say, "mmmm...now that's good!"
Check her out!
Special Holiday promotion: Order the book by December 31, Nikki will sign your copy.
Bacon Wrapped Scallop & Pineapple Mango Cilantro Chutney
¼ Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro
½ Cup Mango Baby Food
½ lb. Bacon
1 Cup Canned Crushed Pineapple
1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 Fresh Scallops
1 Large Skillet Pan
1 Prep Plate
1 Serving Dish
1 Medium Sauté/Skillet Pan
Medium Sauce Pan
- (Use large skillet pan) Bring stove burner/pan to medium/high heat.
- Add 3 slices of raw bacon (to pan at a time)
- Cook bacon to medium (No signs of crisp, tender to fold around scallop)
- Flip bacon to cook second side (No signs of crisp, tender to fold around scallop)
- Add cooked bacon to (paper toweled covered) plate (to absorb access bacon grease)
- Recipe calls for 6 slices of bacon
PINEAPPLE MANGO CHUTNEY
- (Use medium sauce pan) Bring stove burner to medium heat.
- Add whole can (including juice) crushed pineapple
- Add ½ Cup mango baby food
- Add ½ Cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Stir ingredients together. Bring mixture to a simmer (allowing fruit sugars to break down and create a thick consistency).
- Cook 8-10 minutes (stir occasionally)
- Remove from heat.
- (Use medium sauté/skillet pan) Bring stove burner to low/medium heat.
- Lightly cover pan surface with extra virgin olive oil
- Add all 6 (hearty sized) scallops to heated pan
- Cook scallops for 2-3 minutes (until scallop surface is a pretty golden color)
- Flip/cook second side of scallops(until scallop surface is a pretty golden color)
- Remove scallops from pan. Place on prep plate for assembly
- Gently wrap a slice of cooked bacon around cooked scallop
- Secure bacon to scallop with a toothpick
- Top bacon wrapped scallop with 1-2 Tblsp with pineapple mango chutney
- Garnish with one whole cilantro
- Repeat assembly. Recipe serves 6.
- Add to serving dish. Serve warm & enjoy