French driver who rammed 13 not linked to terrorism, official says

A driver who ran down 13 people in France was mentally ill, prosecutor says

The prosecutor in the French city of Dijon said Monday that the driver who ran down 13 pedestrians in the city has a long history of severe mental illness and no links to terrorism.

The man, who is 40, has admitted his role in the attack, said prosecutor Marie-Christine Tarrare. She said he had been hospitalized 157 times for psychiatric problems since 2001, most recently this fall.

She said the man, the French-born son of North African immigrants, acted alone and had no religious motivations, but rather was upset at the treatment of Chechen children.

He shouted 'God is great' to give himself courage to act, and not out of religious belief, Tarrare said.

The suspect was arrested and is in custody, she said.

Eight people remain hospitalized Monday in connection with the incident, authorities said.

Counter-terrorist police have also been investigating a Saturday knife attack on police in the city of Tours, which left two officers seriously injured and the attacker dead.

Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times

UPDATE

8:36 a.m.: This article has been updated with a statement from prosecutor Marie-Christine Tarrare indicating that the Dijon attack was not related to terrorism.

This article was originally published at 3:24 a.m.

45°