Skip to content
How would an Andrew-strength storm affect South Florida's landmarks today?
If Hurricane Andrew struck South Florida today, these landmarks could be battered by a variety of things, including high winds, flooding, storm surge, loss of landscaping, damage to roofs, doors and windows and flying debris.
(If the storm hit Fort Lauderdale)
Landmarks which would face winds up to 180 mph:
Elbo Room: The two-story beachfront bar at Las Olas Boulevard and State Road A1A in Fort Lauderdale, which was featured in the 1960s movie, "Where the Boys Are" opened in 1938. It has been renovated. Water and sand could swamp the building and pounding waves and wind could destroy the upstairs because winds increase with elevation.
Landmarks which would face winds up to 160 mph:
Wynmoor Village: The retirement community in Coconut Creek began in the early 1970s and continued in phases. The development has 5,260 units.
Broward Center for the Performing Arts: The center opened in 1991 on 5.5 acres on the north bank of the New River in Fort Lauderdale. It occupies 204,000 square feet and features a skywalk bridge adjoining the performing arts center and parking garage.
Broward General Medical Center: The 744-bed hospital, founded in 1938, occupies 877,000 square feet of space in Fort Lauderdale. It is undergoing a major expansion and renovation.
Mount Olive Baptist Church: Built in 1979 at 400 NW Ninth Ave. in northwest Fort Lauderdale. The building has had no major renovations since then.
Hyatt Regency Pier 66 Hotel and Marina: The resort started in 1956 as a marina, and the original two-story, 100-room motel opened in 1959. The 17-story hotel tower, featuring a crown-shaped dome at top and a revolving bar, opened in 1965. The 22-acre property in Fort Lauderdale, which has 380 hotel rooms and suites and 142 boat slips, underwent a major renovation in 1999.
Wyndham Bonaventure Resort and Spa: Built in 1981 on 23 acres, the 496-room hotel in Weston underwent a major renovation five years ago.
Nova Southeastern University: The main campus in Davie opened in 1964 in a single building. It now comprises about 250 acres with 41 permanent and two modular buildings and general-purpose athletic fields. The campus has about 1.4 million square feet of office, classroom, library and residential space.
Broward Mall: The Plantation mall opened in 1978. It is in the midst of renovations with just over 1 million square feet of space, four department stores and 125 shops.
Inverrary Country Club: Opened in 1971, the property in Lauderhill features three golf courses and a clubhouse.
Young Circle Park: Laid out in 1923, Young Circle Park was the centerpiece of the original plan for Hollywood-by-the-Sea. Stores, restaurants and shops ring the circle, which loops around the downtown park.
Seminole Indian Casino of Hollywood: The gaming hall opened in 1979 on 17 acres on State Road 7. The last renovations to the building, which has 74,000 square feet, were in 1995.
Landmarks facing winds up to 140 mph:
WTVJ, Channel 6, studios: The television station opened its regional headquarters in 2000 in western Miramar. The 76,000-square-foot building, which features a 112-foot tower, sits on 6.5 acres at Miramar Parkway and Interstate 75.
Gulfstream Park Race Track: Opened for the first day of horse racing on Feb. 1, 1939. The property spans 250 acres in Hallandale Beach and is undergoing a major expansion and renovation.
PALM BEACH COUNTY
(if the storm hit Boynton Beach)
Landmarks facing winds up to 180 mph:
The Ritz-Carlton Palm Beach: The six-story oceanfront hotel opened in June 1991 on seven acres in Manalapan. It has 270 rooms.
Landmarks facing winds up to 160 mph
Worth Avenue: The world-famous strip of about 250 upscale stores in the town of Palm Beach still has one of its oldest shops in business since 1923.
Mall at Wellington Green: The two-story mall opened in 2001 at State Road 7 and Forest Hill Boulevard. It occupies 1.1 million square feet of space with four department stores and specialty shops. Plans call for the mall to include a fifth department store in 2003, a hotel, a public park, recreational lake and apartments.
Palm Beach Zoo at Dreher Park: The 23-acre zoo in West Palm Beach opened in 1969. It is home to more than 400 animals and is in the midst of a multimillion-dollar redevelopment.
South Florida Fair and Palm Beach County Expositions Inc.: The fairgrounds in West Palm Beach opened in the late 1950s. The property encompasses 130 acres and more than 150,000 square feet of buildings.
Palm Beach County Air Park: The Lantana airport opened as a civilian airport in August 1941. It sits on about 345 acres and has almost 400 aircraft, 60 privately owned hangars and several dozen businesses.
Landmarks facing winds up to 140 mph
King's Point: The retirement community in west Delray Beach went up in phases from the early 1970s through the 1980s. The 7,200-unit development sits on 640 acres.
Boomer's Family Recreation Center: The amusement center opened in June 1994 on about 10 acres next to Boca Raton Airport and Glades Road at Interstate 95. It features miniature golf, racetrack, bumper boats, roller rink and an extensive video arcade.
(If the storm hit downtown Miami)
Landmarks facing winds up to 160 mph
Orange Bowl Stadium: Opened in 1937, the Miami stadium, which is made of steel and concrete, seats 74,177 for football games and up to 82,000 for concerts and events. It has almost 32,000 square feet of space and parking for 4,000 cars. The stadium has undergone renovations and expansions.
Joe's Stone Crab: The legendary restaurant on Miami Beach opened in 1913 and has been upgraded over the years.
Landmarks facing winds up to 140 mph
Versailles Restaurant: The famous Cuban restaurant on Southwest Eighth Street in Miami's Little Havana opened in 1971. It seats 350 people.
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens: Built between 1914 and 1916, the property encompasses 50 acres in Miami and operates as a museum showcasing art and furniture. It is a National Historic landmark.
University of Miami: The college opened in 1926 in Coral Gables, but by the fall of that year, a hurricane devastated the campus. It was rebuilt, and now has 99 university-owned buildings with more than 3 million square feet of space on 260 acres.
Florida International University/National Hurricane Center: FIU opened its University Park campus in west Miami-Dade in 1972. It occupies 342 acres and has had ongoing renovations and expansions. The hurricane center relocated to the FIU campus in 1995 after Hurricane Andrew battered its Coral Gables headquarters. The hurricane center, designed to withstand sustained winds of 134 mph and gusts much higher, occupies a 25,000-square-foot fortress. It is elevated and made of poured concrete that is 10 inches thick and reinforced with steel rods.
Coconut Grove Playhouse: Built in 1926 as a movie theater, the Miami playhouse opened in 1927. The 55,000-square-foot building features a 1,100-seat main stage and 135-seat theater. The building is in the midst of a major four-year renovation project.
Landmarks facing winds up to 120 mph
Kendall-Tamiami Executive Airport: Opened in November 1967 at its current location. The airport has 1,360 acres and more than 300 aircraft.
Fairchild Tropical Gardens/Matheson Hammock Park: Located on Old Cutler Road in Coral Gables, the gardens opened to the public in 1938. The property encompasses 83 acres and features exotic plants, tropical flowers and fruits, flowering vines, palms and oaks. The adjacent Matheson Hammock Park on Biscayne Bay opened in 1941. It contains 120 acres, and includes a marina and boat ramp, a bait and tackle fuel facility, a grill restaurant, salt-water pool and wading beach.
Miccosukee Indian Gaming: Located at Southwest Eighth Street and Krome Avenue, the 1,300-seat bingo and gaming hall opened in 1990. Nine years later, the complex grew to include a 302-room hotel and other amenities.
Landmarks facing winds up to 100 mph
Homestead-Miami Speedway: The auto racing complex opened in 1995. It encompasses 600 acres and has seating for 65,000 fans.
Turkey Point: Located 24 miles south of Miami on Biscayne Bay, the first nuclear power unit began operating in 1972. A second unit came on line a year later.