Cops are searching for a heavyset man who is wanted for burglarizing 17 Manhattan stores in two months.
Dubbed the "Hefty Burglar," police say the suspect usually cuts through the metal pull-down security gate of businesses, enters through the front door and steals cash.
He usually strikes Thursdays through Sundays during late-night hours and has mainly targeted restaurants and shops on the East Side along Second, Third and Lexington Avenues. The exceptions have been a Monday burglary and three incidents along Seventh Avenue.
The burglaries have occurred in quick succession, some times twice a day, since the first incident on Thursday, March 3 at 10:30 p.m. at the Golden City restaurant at 14 East 33rd Street. The latest burglary happened on Saturday, April 16 at 2:50 a.m. at the Fresh and Company restaurant at 681 Lexington Avenue.
The "Hefty Burglar" is described as a heavyset white man with light complexion, dark hair tied in a ponytail and wearing eyeglasses. He was last seen wearing a dark-colored hat, jacket and pants.
The other burglaries include:
- Friday, March 4 at 12:01 a.m. at Mike's Pizza restaurant located at 415 2 Avenue
- Friday, March 4 at 1 a.m at Mike Due Pizza restaurant located at 338 3 Avenue
- Monday, March 7 at 10 p.m. at Pastafina restaurant located at 712 3 Avenue
- Saturday, March 12 at 5 p.m. at Delmonico Café and Catering restaurant located at 375 Lexington Avenue
- Saturday, March 12 at a 8:45 p.m. at Deli & Grocery store located at 325 2 Avenue
- Sunday, March 13 at 1:28 a.m. at Eastern Image Day Spa located at 1169 2 Avenue
- Sunday, March 13 at 2:30 a.m. at Beijing Wok restaurant located at 1324 2 Avenue
- Friday, March 25 at 3:30 a.m. at Mike's Papaya located at 132 East 23 Street
- Thursday, March 31 at 9:15 p.m. at Chris Mitchell Studio beauty and nail salon located at 90 7 Avenue
- Thursday, March 31 at 11:30 p.m. at Legend Bar and Restaurant located at 88 7 Avenue
- Thursday, April 7 at 11 p.m. at Pita Grill restaurant located at 441 3 Avenue
- Friday, April 8 at 12:05 a.m. at Danglai Palace restaurant
- Saturday, April 9 at 7:30 p.m. at 23rd Street Bagels store located at 170 West 23 Street
- Sunday, April 10 at 1:05 a.m. at Didi Dumpling restaurant located at 38 Lexington Avenue
- Friday, April 15 at 6 p.m. at Lexington Flower Shop located at 669 Lexington Avenue
Anyone with any information is urged to call CrimeStoppers at (800) 577-TIPS. Tipsters can also submit information at www.nypdcrimestoppers.com or by texting CRIMES (274637) then entering TIP577.
All calls are confidential.Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times