Public hearings are underway throughout New York City and surrounding counties on the MTA's proposed cuts to close a $750 million budget gap.
Among the MTA's proposals to save money are reducing service, eliminating the student MetroCard program and increasing fares.
Councilman Peter F. Vallone, Jr. was outside of the N and W's 30th Avenue station in Astoria, Queens Tuesday morning to encourage straphangers to attend these meeetings and express their opinions.
At 11 a.m. Tuesday, City Council members Christine C. Quinn and James Vacca be delivering petitions against the proposed service cuts to the City of New York City Complaints: Subways & Buses.
Students and minority advocates are also set to protest the MTA's proposed elimination of student MetroCards at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday in Flushing, right before the hearing at the Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel.
All public hearings will begin at 6 p.m. and registration to speak will close at 9 p.m. The hearings will be held at the following dates and locations:
Monday, March 1
- White Plains Performing Arts Center, 3rd Floor, City Center, Westchester, 11 City Place, White Plains
- Chateau Briand, 440 Old Country Road, Carle Place, Long Island
Tuesday, March 2
- College of Staten Island, Springer Concert Hall, 1P Building, 2800 Victory Boulevard, Staten Island
- Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel, Phoenix Ballroom, 135-20 39th Avenue, Flushing, Queens
Wednesday, March 3
- The Paradise Theater, 2403 Grand Concourse at 187th Street, The Bronx
- Brooklyn Museum, Cantor Auditorium, 200 Eastern Parkway, Brooklyn
Thursday, March 4
- Holiday Inn-Suffern, Empire Ballroom, 3 Executive Boulevard, Suffern
- Fashion Institute of Technology, Haft Auditorium, Seventh Avenue at 27th Street, Manhattan
Monday, March 8
- County Center-Riverhead, Suffolk County Legislative Auditorium, Evans K. Griffing Bldg, 300 Center Drive, Riverhead, Long Island
Concerned commuters can also send public comments via email though MTA.info and regular mail addressed to MTA Community Affairs, 347 Madison Ave, New York, NY 10017.Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times