Indianapolis Fire Department
April 23, 2012
Gevonda Hill told firefighters that she put frozen French fries in hot grease, turned the stove to high and left the room for a minute. When she returned the kitchen was on fire. Gevonda grabbed her son and alerted her visiting sister who was asleep in the bedroom. All three evacuated. Assistant Property Manager Sherry Taylor told firefighters that the apartment complex is full and there were no apartments available for relocation. Power to the building was disconnected due to the fire which displaced all of the buildings residents. Only 2 of the 12 units were damaged due to the fire, including where the fire started, and the unit below which sustained water and smoke damage. The Indianapolis Fire Department would like to remind residents to never leave food unattended on the stove. Heat grease slowly and always keep a watchful eye. Remember to have an extinguishment method nearby such as a kitchen fire extinguisher or a lid for the pot you are using.