Light-Rail Costs Too Much, Won't Cut Traffic

Re "Santa Ana Needs a Light Rail System," Jan. 12:

Fred Bella really needs to do some more research on the pros and cons of a light-rail system in Santa Ana. While a trolley might look like a neat thing to have, it is a drain on the taxpayers. On Los Angeles County's trolley system, the rider pays only about 25% of the operating costs, requiring the taxpayers to pay the other 75%. Also, the proposed light rail for Orange County would not cut down on driving much. The Orange County Transportation Authority projects a less than 1% reduction in traffic volume on our freeways.

Chris Hughes


Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World