* Kirby Puckett: Baseball Hall of Famer, 45, stroke.
* Floyd Patterson: Heavyweight boxing champion, 71, Alzheimer's disease and prostate cancer.
* Curt Gowdy: Preeminent sportscaster, 86, leukemia.
* Steve Howe: Former Dodgers reliever, 48, car accident.
* Byron Nelson: Golfing legend, 94, natural causes.
* Red Auerbach: Longtime Boston Celtics coach, general manager, 89, heart failure.
* Bo Schembechler: Former Michigan football coach, 77, heart attack.
* Lamar Hunt: American Football League founder, 74, prostate cancer.
* Maggie Dixon: Army women's basketball coach, 28, heart arrhythmia.
* Rod Dedeaux: Legendary USC baseball coach, 91, complications from a stroke.
* Ryan Francis: USC freshman point guard, 19, gunshot wound.
* Bob Mathias: Two-time Olympic champion in the decathlon, 75, cancer.
* Ted Schroeder: 1949 Wimbledon tennis champion, 84, cancer.
* Mike Quarry: Light-heavyweight boxer, 55, boxing-induced dementia.
* Randy Walker: Northwestern football coach, 52, heart attack.
* Susan Butcher: Four-time Iditarod champion, 51, leukemia.
* Patty Berg: One of the founders of the LPGA, 88, Alzheimer's disease.
* Buck O'Neil: Former Negro leagues player, 94, heart failure and bone marrow cancer.
* Marlin McKeever: Two-time All-American at USC and 13-year NFL player, 66, head injuries from a fall.
* Marcus Cassel: Former UCLA cornerback, 23, car accident.
* Willie Pep: Hall of Fame boxer, 84, Alzheimer's disease.
* Larry Sherry: World Series MVP for Dodgers in 1959, 71, cancer.
* Cory Lidle: Major league pitcher, 34, airplane crash.