Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953-1961): 1952/1956 Chrysler Imperial Parade Phaeton In 1952, Chrysler built three Parade Phaetons on extended Crown Imperial chassis and shipped them off to New York, Los Angeles and the White House so they could be used to chauffeur dignitaries. The car company took them back in 1955 to update them with the 1956 Forward Look styling of the Chrysler Imperial. Since the federal government had a policy of not taking gifts, this car became known as "The Detroit Car" because of where it was housed when it wasn't in use by President Eisenhower or others on his staff. The striking white convertible is the only one of the trio that is now privately owned.
Associated Press and Petersen Automotive Museum
Copyright © 2018, Los Angeles Times