Reginald Johnson home in Pasadena has ties to Episcopal Church
This 1927 Monterey Colonial-style home in Pasadena’s Huntington Library area was designed by celebrated architect Reginald Johnson for his father, Joseph Horsfall Johnson, the first bishop of the Episcopal Church in the diocese of Los Angeles.
The elder Johnson, credited for his work founding Good Samaritan Hospital on Wilshire Boulevard, which his son designed, maintained the residence for over a year before his death in 1928.
In 1941, the estate was sold to German-born artist and portrait painter Max Wieczorek, who lived there for more than a decade.
Listed for sale at $4.995 million, the historic home last changed hands in 2003 for $2.85 million. In 2000, it sold for $1.81 million, and about two decades earlier, it went for $315,500.
Shaded by mature trees on more than half an acre, the 6,830-square-foot residence recently underwent a $1-million renovation to expand and update the property.
Designed for small- and large-scale entertaining, interiors by Jennifer Bevan are highlighted by a center-island chef’s kitchen, a great room with a fireplace and a grand formal living room, which also has a fireplace.
A long sunroom lined with French doors takes in views of the saltwater pool and spa, an outdoor fireplace and formal gardens. There are six bedrooms and seven bedrooms as well as a detached pool/guest house of about 640 square feet.
Micah Lachtman of Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage holds the listing.
The mansions, the prices, the market.
See inside amazing properties and read the latest news about housing and commercial real estate in our weekly newsletter.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.