The oceanfront estate in San Clemente that was once owned by Richard M. Nixon and known as the Western White House during his presidency is back up for sale at $63.5 million — down from its $75-million asking price three years ago.
The seller is former Allergan Pharmaceuticals Chief Executive Gavin S. Herbert, who acquired the property and surrounding acreage from Nixon in the 1980s.
Dubbed La Casa Pacifica by the 37th U.S. president, the walled estate sits in a gated enclave on an isolated bluff that overlooks the ocean and a popular surfing spot. Panoramic views can extend 60 miles to San Clemente Island. The 5.45-acre property has 450 feet of beach front.
In addition to the Spanish Colonial Revival-style main residence, there’s a two-bedroom guesthouse, multiple staff residences and offices, a greenhouse, a swimming pool, a tennis court, formal gardens and large expanses of lawn.
The 9,000-square-foot main house, built in 1926, features tile and hardwood flooring, arched doorways and groin-vaulted ceilings. Among living spaces is the ocean-view office used by Nixon and a master suite with an expanded bathroom and closet area. Rooms open to a courtyard with a tiled fountain.
With the 3,000-square-foot entertainment pavilion and various other buildings, there’s a total of about 15,000 square feet of living space.
Acquired for Nixon's use in 1969, the estate has hosted numerous world leaders, including Japanese Premier Eisaku Sato, South Vietnamese President Nguyen Van Thieu and former President Lyndon B. Johnson.
Celebrities such as Frank Sinatra, John Wayne and Cesar Romero also visited Nixon at the estate. He was not the first president to set foot on the property, however. Franklin D. Roosevelt once played poker at the home as a guest of the original owner, financier Hamilton H. Cotton.