The Saddleridge fire broke out in Sylmar near the 210 Freeway on Thursday night and is burning through the hillsides of the San Fernado Valley, threatening thousands of homes. By 1 p.m. Friday, it had charred some 7,500 acres and damaged 25 structures. It is 13% contained.
The blaze started about 9 p.m. on the north side of the 210 Freeway near Yarnell Street.
Embers jumped over the 210 and 5 freeways and ignited more spot fires in dry brush. The wind-driven blaze moved west into Granada Hills and Porter Ranch, where dozens of homes have burned. At least 25 houses have been damaged in the fire.
The Los Angeles Fire Department says it is investigating the cause of the blaze.
Crews from the Los Angeles Fire Department, Los Angeles County Fire Department and the U.S. Forest Service are on the scene. Resources include ground crews, helicopters and amphibious aircraft. More than 1,000 firefighters are battling the blaze.
Subscriptions make our reporting on wildfires and power outages possible. Get full access to our journalism for just 99 cents for the first four weeks. Already a subscriber? Your contribution helped tell this story. Thank you.
- Santa Ana winds 20-30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph
- Low humidity
- Temperatures in the mid-80s
- Oakridge Estates north of 210 Freeway
- Foothill and Glenoaks areas
- All of Porter Ranch
- Areas north of the 118 Freeway between Granada Hills and the Ventura County line
- See L.A. Fire Department evacuation map
Capacity at the seven available evacuation centers is in flux. Some centers that had been full Friday morning are again accepting evacuees. Lyft is offering free rides to designated evacuation centers. VCA Animal Hospitals is offering free boarding for small pets displaced by the Saddleridge fire at VCA Adler Animal Hospital and Pet Resort in Northridge.
- FULL: Sylmar Recreation Center (13109 Borden Ave.)
- Northridge Recreation Center (18300 Lemarsh St.)
- FULL: Mason Park (10500 Mason Ave.)
- Granada Hills Recreation Center (16730 Chatsworth St.)
- Lanark Recreation Center (21816 Lanark St.)
- Brandford Recreation Center (13306 Brandford St.)
- Van Nuys/Sherman Oaks Recreation Center (14201 Huston St.)
Southern California Edison settles with 23 public agencies for damage it allegedly caused in the Thomas and Woolsey fires, and Montecito mudslides.
Fires were burning into Sydney’s suburbs, with New South Wales under a weeklong state of emergency. Some were told to shelter in place because there’s no time to flee the flames.
The bankrupty utility is trying to match compensation proposed by creditors in a rival reorganization plan.
Large-animal evacuation center:
If you need help with the evacuation of large animals, contact East Valley Animal Shelter at (818) 756-9323.
- Hansen Dam (11770 Foothill Blvd.)
- Pierce College (6201 Winnetka Ave.)
- 210 Freeway in both directions between the 118 and 5 freeways
- 5 Freeway between Roxford Street and Calgrove Boulevard
- Southbound 14 Freeway at the Newhall Pass
- Northbound 405 Freeway at 118 Freeway
- Numerous surface streets in Sylmar, Granada Hills and Porter Ranch
Train service disruptions
- No southbound service in the Antelope Valley from the Lancaster, Palmdale and Santa Clarita lines toward Los Angeles
- Northbound Antelope Valley Line trains can depart from Union Station but will only run as far north as Sylmar/San Fernando
- Sylmar/San Fernando line to Newhall station is closed
- Amtrak Thruway Bus Service has been temporarily suspended between Bakersfield and Los Angeles
Los Angeles Unified School District school closure and schedule change announcements.
Because of poor air quality, all Los Angeles Unified schools located in the Local District Northwest and Northeast will be on a minimum-day schedule. According to the school district, Topanga Elementary Charter, Roscomare Road Elementary and Elementary CES from Local District West will also be on a minimum-day schedule. Transportation services will be provided as usual, but all athletics and after-school activities at these schools will be postponed or canceled. Staff will remain on campus until all students are safely picked up. To pick up students ahead of time, please visit the main office and bring proper ID.
Also, several schools have postponed football games scheduled for Friday evening because of the fire and associated poor air quality.
Los Angeles Unified School District and charter school closures
- Bert Corona High School
- Bert Corona Charter School
- Birmingham Community Charter High School
- Birmingham High School
- Bright Star’s three Valor campuses in the Valley
- Castlebay Lane Charter
- Discovery Charter Preparatory School No. 2
- El Camino Real Charter High School
- El Oro Way Charter for Enriched Studies
- Fenton Avenue Primary Center
- Fenton Avenue Elementary Charter School
- Fenton STEM Academy Elementary Center
- Fenton Charter Leadership Academy
- Frost Middle School
- Granada Hills Charter High School (both campuses)
- Haskell Elementary STEAM Magnet
- High Tech Los Angeles Middle School
- Ivy Academia Charter School
- Jane Addams Continuation High School
- James Jordan Middle School
- John F. Kennedy High School
- Knollwood Preparatory Academy
- Magnolia Public Schools 1, 2, 5 and 7
- Magnolia Science Academy 1, 2, 5, and 7
- Montague Charter School in Pacoima
- MATES Charter School
- New Academy Canoga Park
- North Valley Military Institute
- Our Community Charter School
- Porter Ranch Community School
- PUC Valley Schools, all campuses
- Rinaldi Adult School
- Van Gogh Charter
- Vaughn Next Century Learning Center
- West Valley Occupational Center
- Valor Academy charter schools, all three campuses
- Valley Charter Elementary School
- Valley Charter Middle School
- Valley International Preparatory High School
- Valley Charter Elementary and Valley Charter Middle School
- Van Gogh Charter
- YPI Bert Corona (both schools)
Santa Clarita Valley
- William S. Hart Union High School District
- Castaic Union School District
- Sulphur Springs Union School District
- Newhall School District
- Filmore Unified School District
- Los Cerritos Middle School and Lang Ranch Elementary School in the Conejo Valley Unified School District
- MATES charter school in Thousand Oaks
- Mupu School near Santa Paula
- All Simi Valley Unified Schools
- Cal State Northridge
- College of the Canyons
- Pierce College
- Los Angeles Mission College