Has Hollywood lost touch with American values?
The contentious presidential campaign was filled with accusations of elitism and bias by the media -- from the news to entertainment. Many supporters of Donald J. Trump saw his victory as a repudiation of the so-called liberal elite.
So as 2017 begins, we ask: Is Hollywood representing all Americans? Are Hollywood values out of sync with American values?
It’s the start of a conversation we’ll have all year with Hollywood’s creators, consumers and observers. Most of all, we want to hear from you. Is Hollywood out of touch with your America? Here’s what our critics and writers have to say:
- Blame the movies? KENNETH TURAN on potent Hollywood visions that helped elect Trump
- TV’s affluent bubble: MARY McNAMARA on Hollywood’s reluctance to deal with class issues
- Fear of the powerful woman: JUSTIN CHANG on working women and men still behaving badly
- Realistic or cliche?: JEFFREY FLEISHMAN on film’s working-class men and women
- Building distrust: LORRAINE ALI on destructive TV portrayals of Muslims and how TV can help fix things
- Video games to politics: TODD MARTENS on how Gamergate trolls helped set Trump’s political attack playbook
- No ‘Middle’ ground: MEREDITH BLAKE on TV’s working-class hero, ‘The Middle’
- Bracing for backlash: TRE’VELL ANDERSON on LGBT Hollywood’s vow to keep fighting
- Still angry: MARC BERNARDIN on ‘This Is Us,’ a rare TV view of simmering rage in a black professional
- Arts fighter: MARK SWED says maybe Sylvester Stallone wasn’t such a bad idea for the NEA after all
- Rap pirates: Run the Jewels’ Killer Mike and El-P get political with RANDALL ROBERTS
- Standing Rock legacy: CAROLINA A. MIRANDA on the pipeline protest that could be the future of dissent
- Cuba unplugged: RANDY LEWIS on a music scene that grew up in isolation
- Voice of protest: Conor Oberst talks with AUGUST BROWN about music’s power
- The provocateur: CAROLYN KELLOGG on Milo Yiannopoulos’ $250,000 book advance
- Survival kit: JOHN SCALZI’s 10-point plan for making art in the Trump era