Backstreet Boys to test Las Vegas residency in 2017
The Vegas Strip is about to get even more larger than life: The Backstreet Boys are set to call the city home.
More than 20 years after declaring they’ve “got it goin’ on,” the boy band that managed to graduate from teenage dreams to full-fledged adults without losing their shimmer will head to Las Vegas for a trial residency next year.
“Backstreet Boys: Larger Than Life” is set to launch on March 1, 2017, at the Axis at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino, the group announced Friday. The Axis is currently home to two of the Strip’s biggest pop draws, Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez.
“If you’ve ever been to a Backstreet Boys show … it’s going to be that on steroids,” band member Brian Littrell said in a statement.
With 130 million albums sold, the Backstreet Boys are the bestselling boy band in history — not counting the Beatles. Despite many of their pop peers flaming out, breaking into solo stars (Justin Timberlake) or struggling to find relevancy in an ever-evolving landscape, BSB have maintained — and even thrived with age.
Now in their 30s and 40s, they have long surpassed their glory days of syrupy pop with contemporary pop rock and R&B informing their adult work.
“A lot of times [with] groups like us you’re either the flavor of the month or you’re not. Your shelf life is really small -- two, maybe three, years. For us, it comes down to the music and the passion to keep at it. It’s a lot of fun to do what we do,” Littrell told The Times in 2014 in an interview to mark the group’s 20th anniversary tour. “We’ve grown up with our fans. All of our fans are older now and they are bringing their kids to our shows now, so it’s a good feeling to still be around. I think that’s a testament to the music.”
The group has anchored a successful cruise, continued to tour globally and last year released a documentary, “Show ‘Em What You’re Made Of,” that revisited the platinum hits, slick dance moves, flashy music videos, blockbuster tours and rabid fans that made them a phenomenon.
Talk of a Vegas stint has been ongoing this year — as have rumors of a tour with fellow ’90s pop powerhouse group the Spice Girls — with member Nick Carter confirming plans to make the show a permanent one if the trial run is well-received.
“If it does really well, then I think that’ll open that door and then in future we’ll do it,” Carter told “Entertainment Tonight” in April. “So that’s definitely going to happen but we’re going to do a trial run first.”
BSB have booked 18 shows in March, June and July.
Tickets for the shows will start at $39, plus fees and taxes, and go on sale at 10 a.m. on Oct. 1 through Ticketmaster.
For more music news follow me on Twitter:@GerrickKennedy
Inside the business of entertainment
The Wide Shot brings you news, analysis and insights on everything from streaming wars to production — and what it all means for the future.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.