Cellphone videos show massive lunchtime brawl at Sylmar High School
School officials strengthened security measures Tuesday after a massive lunchtime brawl involving 40 students at Sylmar High School reportedly took 12 officers to control.
Cellphone video captured the 20-minute melee that exploded Monday on the sprawling campus at 13050 Borden Ave.
It took 12 officers to control the students who were seen running throughout the campus, swinging their arms and hitting each other, KNBC-TV reported.
In an email to parents, school Principal James Lee said several students were involved in a fight and that “disciplinary action” had been taken. He added that the students’ parents had been notified.
It’s not clear what started the fight, but several students told KTLA that race and a dispute stemming from prom may have been a factor.
“We want to reassure parents that the safety of all students and staff remains our top priority,” Supt. Michelle King said in a statement.
King said school violence will not be tolerated.
“The bottom line is that all students are welcome at L.A. Unified schools,” she said.
For breaking news in California, follow VeronicaRochaLA on Twitter.
The stories shaping California
Get up to speed with our Essential California newsletter, sent six days a week.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.