Fire at Amazon center in Redlands blamed on solar panel malfunction
A fire caused by a malfunction in a solar panel array caused $25,000 in damage at an Amazon fulfillment center in Redlands on Tuesday night, officials said.
The fire broke out around 9 p.m. at the 800,000-square-foot facility in the 2100 block of San Bernardino Avenue, according to Carl Baker, a spokesman for the Redlands Fire Department.
The fire was largely contained to the roof.
No one was injured, and employees inside the building had evacuated before firefighters arrived, Baker said.
Investigators believe the blaze was sparked by faulty components in the complex’s solar energy panels.
Follow @JamesQueallyLAT for crime and police news in California.
Start your day right
Sign up for Essential California for news, features and recommendations from the L.A. Times and beyond in your inbox six days a week.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.