A 28-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of making a hoax bomb threat that led to the shutdown of a San Diego freeway on Thanksgiving.
Victor Manuel Diaz remains in San Diego County jail on two felony counts of making threats. Bail is set at $50,000.
According to the California Highway Patrol, Diaz made a cellphone call to his sister Thursday afternoon as she was driving northbound on Interstate 15 in San Diego. He told her that a bomb had been placed in her car, the CHP said.
Diaz's sister pulled to the side of the freeway and made an emergency call. The freeway was closed for several hours while police dogs and bomb squad specialists inspected her car.
The caller had not identified himself but the phone number displayed on the sister's phone was traced to Diaz, who lives in San Diego, officials said. He allegedly said the call was meant as a joke.