Vice presidential nominee Mike Pence said Saturday he "cannot defend" Donald Trump's comments about women, but was looking ahead to Trump's debate Sunday against Hillary Clinton.
Pence no longer will be filling in for Trump at a campaign stop in Wisconsin on Saturday, according to reports.
"As a husband and father, I was offended by the words and actions described by Donald Trump in the 11-year-old video," Pence said.
Donald Trump should explain how he's changed in the last 10 years, the chief of staff for one of his first congressional supporters said Saturday.
Several representatives and senators have withdrawn their support for the Republican nominee in the day since a 2005 recording of Trump making comments about groping women was first reported by the Washington Post on Friday.
Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Alpine) was one of the first members of Congress to endorse Trump and has been an ardent supporter for months.
Indiana Gov. Mike Pence isn't leaving Donald Trump's side — at least not yet.
Pence will hit the campaign trail for Trump on Monday with a pair of rallies in North Carolina, according to a schedule released by the campaign late Saturday. It will be Pence's first public event since audio surfaced of Trump making lewd and predatory comments about women, which Pence condemned, an unusual step for a running mate but one that several top Republicans also took.
"As a husband and father, I was offended by the words and actions described by Donald Trump in the 11-year-old video. I do not condone his remarks and cannot defend them," Pence said. "... We pray for his family and look forward to the opportunity he has to show what is in his heart" during Sunday night's second presidential debate.
While poll data, especially those based on a rolling average of a week's responses like our own USC Dornsife/L.A. Times Poll, take time to process the public's responses to events, betting markets react quickly.
Trump had already been in a slide since the first presidential debate Sept. 26. But then came Friday's publication of 2005 video footage on which Trump crudely discusses groping and hitting on women, and the fallout, including many leading Republicans abandoning him. Data from Predictwise, which includes prediction markets in its analysis, show Trump's odds of winning the presidency dropping from 20% to 13% overnight.
Even as several prominent Republicans jump ship, the besieged Donald Trump campaign has received a strong show of faith from his biggest financial backer.
Robert Mercer, a hedge fund billionaire who has become one of the nation’s largest backers of ultraconservative causes, and his daughter Rebekah, a Trump campaign insider, said that they “stand steadfastly” behind Trump.
The Mercers issued a statement that sneers at leading party figures such as Sen. John McCain of Arizona for denouncing Trump, saying they had yielded to the “boom box of media blather” after the release of a tape on which Trump brags about trying to have sex with a married woman and that his "star" status allowed him to grope women freely.
Rudolph W., Giuliani left Trump Tower late Saturday with a message for Donald Trump's supporters and detractors — that the GOP presidential nominee had no intention of backing down from critics.
"He’s in the race to win and he is going to win," said Giuliani, the former New York mayor who was one of several of Trump's top advisors holed up in campaign headquarters Saturday to deal with the fallout from a tape released a day earlier in which Trump is heard boasting about groping women.
Top Republicans peeled away from Trump's candidacy after the video emerged, with prominent GOP lawmakers saying they will not vote for him.
Some of the 14 Republican members of the California congressional delegation had strong words for Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump after comments he made about groping women became public Friday, but only a few said they would no longer support him.
Most were like Rep. Darrell Issa of Vista, who criticized Trump but did not rescind his endorsement.
He posted a link to the original Washington Post article on his Facebook page with the comment, "This type of behavior has no place in American politics, especially not from those seeking to lead our great nation."
Sarah Palin has no shortage of disapproving adjectives to describe the leaked tapes of Donald Trump bragging about groping women, but the former Alaska governor is not joining the wave of Republicans abandoning the GOP nominee.
In a Facebook post Saturday afternoon, Palin described the comments as "disgusting, shameful, totally disrespectful 'locker room' garbage, privately shared between two Hollywood playboys over a decade ago." But the former Republican vice presidential nominee quickly pivoted to more familiar targets -- the media and Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.
Palin said the media's focus on the leaked tape was "as offensive" as Trump's comments, arguing that concerns over the Supreme Court, the economy and other matters are of greater importance.
Whenever Donald Trump has gotten in trouble for boorish behavior, he’s had a standard response: That may be bad, but Bill Clinton has done much worse.
It was his first inclination Friday, when a lurid tape surfaced from 2005, filled with randy and contemptuous remarks about women.
“Bill Clinton has said far worse to me on the golf course — not even close,” Trump said in a sorry-if-I-offended-anyone non-apology apology.
On Friday, Arizona Sen. John McCain said Donald Trump should "suffer the consequences" of his lewd taped remarks.
One such consequence: Trump has lost McCain's vote.
In a statement Saturday, the Republican senator, who is facing a contentious reelection fight, said he was withdrawing his support from the GOP presidential nominee.
A raucous crowd greeted Donald Trump as he made an appearance on the sidewalk outside Trump Tower in Manhattan on Saturday.
Earlier in the day, despite fellow Republicans withdrawing their support in the wake of his lewd comments about women, he vowed to push ahead.