* 1. Burbank boys’ cross-country team: The Bulldogs finished second
in the Foothill League to a very good Canyon team. However, it was in
the postseason where Burbank really shined. Burbank placed seventh at
the CIF Southern Section Final and was 17th -- out of 113 teams -- in
the State Meet.
* 2. Bell-Jeff girls’ basketball team: The Guards finished second
in the Sunshine League and advanced to the CIF Southern Section
Division IVA final, losing to Westlake Village Oaks Christian, 53-44.
* 3. Burbank boys’ tennis team: The Bulldogs were the lone team to
win a league title, sharing the Foothill League crown with Valencia.
They also did well in the CIF Southern Section Division II playoffs,
advancing to the quarterfinals.
* 4. Burroughs boys’ basketball team: The Indians had to win their
last regular-season game just to make the postseason. However, they
advanced to the CIF Southern Section Division IIA playoff
* 5. Burbank boys’ swimming team: The Bulldogs surprised many by
placing second in the Foothill League final meet.
* 6. Burbank boys’ water polo team: Playing in the tough Almont
League, the Bulldogs held their own and finished third. Burbank also
got its first win against cross-town rival Burroughs in 11 years.
* 7. Burbank girls’ water polo team: The Bulldogs made their first
trip to the CIF Southern Section playoffs by finishing third in the
competitive Almont League.
* 8. Providence girls’ basketball team: The Pioneers placed second
in the Liberty League behind CIF Southern Section Division IVA
semifinalist L.A. Windward. The team also defeated No. 1-ranked
Encino Holy Martyrs during league play.
* 9. Burroughs football team: Competing in the talent-rich
Foothill League, the Indians defeated Saugus and came 20 yards away
from an upset of Valencia in a 14-7 loss. Burroughs also played well
in the playoffs, almost upsetting La Verne Damien in a 17-14
* 10. Bell-Jeff baseball team: With a squad made up mostly of
freshmen and sophomores, the Guards showed they are a team of the
future by finishing second in the Santa Fe League.