Faulty oven starts house fire

A residential fire on Santa Anita Avenue near Bel Aire Drive Thursday afternoon caused about $25,000 in damages, fire officials said. They said the fire started after a gas stove suddenly ignited. 

Burbank Fire Capt. John Nare said an oven malfunction caused the fire in the 1000 block of Santa Anita Avenue. The fire began shortly after 3 p.m. and was knocked out in about 10 minutes, he said.

“The oven came on in self-cleaning mode and caught the grease on fire,” Nare said. The homeowner, Maria Zurita, was cooking on the stove top when the oven suddenly turned on, Nare said. Her son Ricardo was in the house at the time.

Damage from flames was limited to the kitchen and smoke damage affected the remainder of the home, Nare said. The fire caused about $15,000 in damage to the home’s structure. Damage to the house’s contents was estimated at $10,000.

Nare said three engines, two fire trucks and a rescue ambulance responded to the fire. No one was injured. 

Copyright © 2019, Glendale News-Press
EDITION: California | U.S. & World