All Health's Breaking Loose: Good thoughts bring good health

“I think I can, I think I can....” were the words that empowered the “Little Engine that Could” up that arduous hill. Mantras, affirmations, positive attitude training — as the world becomes busier and more complicated, it seems we humans are trying myriad techniques to keep ourselves calm, and to keep anxiety and depression at bay.

Speakers, authors and life coaches everywhere are teaching us that much like “I think I can,” our thoughts and words create the life we have. So, when I landed on this Russian study exploring how words affect our DNA, I had to share it with you.

Only 10% of our DNA is used to build proteins, so Russian researchers joined linguists and geneticists to find out more about what the other 90% was capable of. Their conclusions were mind-blowing. The original study, written in Russian, then detailed in a German book by Grazyna Fosar and Franz Bludorf, has been translated for various publications. I was enamored and read all I could get my hands on.

I liked the explanation of the study found on Quantum (use the authors’ names in the search engine to help you find it), which reported that the results of the Russian study suggest that language is a reflection of our DNA and that our DNA can be influenced, and even reprogrammed, by words and frequencies.

Pjotr Garjajev, a Russian biophysicist and molecular biologist, with his crew explored the vibrational behavior of DNA. They determined that since the basic structure of DNA and language are the same, living tissue will always react to language. This research provides an explanation as to why affirmations and words spoken out loud have strong effects on our bodies. Spiritual teachers and sages have been teaching this for centuries — it is natural for our bodies to respond to language, words and thoughts.

But maybe it doesn’t work the same for everybody. The study goes on to say that in order to establish a conscious communication with the DNA, the individual must work on his maturity and his ability to manage his thoughts. Yes, that’s the kicker — we can’t go blindly parroting ideas of “happy-happy-joy-joy,” we must first listen to our bodies on a deeper level and get in touch with the emotion and energy that flows through us.

I often tell my wellness campers and clients, “When it comes to training and sculpting your body, you have two things to work with — your DNA and your perspective.” Deepak Chopra explains it beautifully in his book, one of my all time favorites — “Ageless Body, Timeless Mind.”

So, whether you want to shout it from the rooftops or meditate quietly on your affirmation, Pjotr Garjajev and his peers in Germany would say, go right ahead. I’ll continue beginning each day with this thought: “Everyday I grow younger and stronger and every phase of my life is in balance.” Research or not, it's a great way to start the day.

I hope that like the Little Engine that Could, you're surrounded with encouragement and thoughts that will get you to the top of the hill. Thoughts and words create biology. Good ones bring good health.

I’ll see you in two weeks.

Love & health,


LOA BLASUCCI lives in La Cañada and teaches courses at the Community Center of La Cañada Flintridge. Her website is

Copyright © 2019, Glendale News-Press
EDITION: California | U.S. & World