Cigarette butt ignites palm tree, balcony

An apartment balcony was damaged Saturday when a palm tree ignited from a lit cigarette butt, officials said.

Someone threw the butt into dry pine needles, which spread to a palm tree and on to the apartment balcony in the 2100 block of Valderas Drive, Battalion Chief Gregory Godfrey said.

No one was injured in the blaze, which he said was quickly contained to the balcony.

Veronica Rocha

Copyright © 2019, Glendale News-Press
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
56°