As the investigation into a 10-year-old Northridge girl's kidnapping and sexual assault continued, an L.A. County supervisor criticized the so-called realignment program which transfers authority of some felons from state prisons to county jails.
The circumstances of Tobias Dustin Summers' July 2012 release from custody were not clear. Police said Saturday that the 30-year-old had a criminal history dating back to 2002 that includes charges of kidnapping, robbery, explosives possession and petty theft.
LAPD officials said he was released from custody under realignment.
The law, which went into effect in October 2011, was intended to reduce overcrowding in state prisons.
Summers is not a registered sex offender, but authorities said he was arrested on suspicion of battery in 2009 in a case that involved child annoyance.
LAPD Deputy Chief Kirk Albanese said Summers had been taken into custody Jan. 13 for a probation violation and was released Jan. 16, but he did not elaborate on the violation.
Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich, a staunch critic of realignment, issued a statement Monday calling on Gov. Jerry Brown to "take the proper steps" and convene a special legislative session to "repeal this reckless program."
"The governor's failed realignment program is a proven threat to public safety which has overwhelmed probation departments and local law enforcement agencies," the statement read.
-- Kate Mather and Andrew Blankstein