Today is Thursday, Dec. 12, 2013 and the high in Glendale is predicted to reach 71 and low of 43. Here are the top headlines from the 818 area code region:
- A former Hoover High School teacher and friend of Roger Rodas is mourning his loss, following tragic deaths of Rodas and his friend, fellow Glendale local and actor Paul Walker, Kirt Kohlmeier tells the Glendale News-Press.
- The La Canada school board inducted new members this week and are now planning a resolution to combat Los Angeles County Department of Public Works' plan to remove 2.4 million to 4 million cubic yards of sediment from Devil's Gate Dam over the next seven years, according to the Valley Sun. Most of the sediment, the result of the 2009 Station fire, is mud and debris containing particles of ash that could be harmful if inhaled for extended periods of time. Officials are worried about potential negative health effects that the debris-carrying trucks could have on students at nearby La Cañada High School campus.
- Burbank police announced a DUI checkpoint at an undisclosed location in Burbank, the Burbank Leader reports.
- A solar impact study may determine if a proposed 174,266 square foot facility Public Storage building at 5500 San Fernando Road will be built in Glendale, according to the Glendale News-Press.
The Glendale Unified School District reached an agreement with its teachers union outlining how the district will handle its online classes. The agreement guarantees that no Glendale Unified teacher will be involuntarily directed to teach an online class, the Glendale News-Press reports.
Paul Tanaka, the former undersheriff who is challenging his old boss Sheriff Lee Baca in next year’s election, made his first public statement since news broke that the federal government had arrested 18 current and former members of the Sheriff’s Department in a jail abuse and corruption scandal, the Los Angeles Times reports.
- The Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department’s homicide bureau is investigating human remains found at the 3900 block of Fair Oaks Avenue in Altadena last night.
-- Nicole Charky, firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow on Twitter: @Nicosharki.
-- Sameea Kamal, email@example.com
Follow on Twitter: @SameeaKamal.