Good morning, 818 readers. Today is Satruday, March 8, 2014. The Glendale area will have a high of 81 and a low of 56, according to the National Weather Service.
- Longtime Burbank resident Tom Medley, creator of the "Stroker McGurk" cartoon seriesthat ran in Hot Rod magazine, died Sunday. He would've turned 94 this month.
- Swedish furniture giant IKEA will face its final hurdle next week in its quest to build its largest store in the country, with the Burbank City Council set to consider the project on Tuesday.
- A lawsuit alleging Burbank Unified officials failed to properly oversee a teacher — convicted of having sex with a middle school student in 2009 — is scheduled to go to trial later this month.
- The city of Glendale will hire outside legal help to represent the city in a lawsuit filed last week seeking to force the city to stop transferring tens of millions of dollars from its utility to the General Fund for police, libraries and other general services.
- The La Cañada High girls' soccer team is a win away from its first-ever CIF championship. The Spartans face St. Margaret's at 9:30 a.m. today at Corona High for the CIF Southern Section Division V championship.
- La Cañada’s Public Works and Traffic Commission will conduct a public meeting on Wednesday, March 19 at 6 p.m. to discuss issues surrounding traffic flow within the Town Center area and recommendations for how conditions might be improved.
-- Sameea Kamal, firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow on Twitter: @SameeaKamal.