Good morning, 818 readers. Today is Thursday, March 13. Forecasters predict a sunny day, with a high of 78 and low of 51 in the Glendale area.
Here are the top news headlines in your region:
- Former Councilman John Drayman is set to spend a year behind bars and pay roughly $305,000 in restitution to the Montrose Shopping Park Association after pleading guilty to three felonies Wednesday morning in a downtown Los Angeles courtroom.
- Burbank City Council has approved a plan for Swedish furniture giant IKEA to build its largest furniture store in the U.S. in Burbank.
- Two fires broke out in Burbank yesterday. Firefighters battled a blaze that ripped through a Burbank triplex on Wednesday afternoon in the 700 block of East Palm Avenue. A couple of hours later, roughly 50 employees were evacuated from a Burbank business after a dust collector caught fire, authorities said.
- Following months of meetings and closed-door negotiations, Glendale Unified officials are seeking input from Sagebrush residents on whether the La Cañada area should be transferred to that city’s district.
- Five people have qualified for the June ballot for a single Glendale City Council seat, one that comes with a shortened 10-month term. The five candidates, in alphabetical order, are: Rick Barnes, a real estate agent, Paula Devine, a Commission on the Status of Women member, Vartan Gharpetian, a Historic Preservation Commission member, Chahe Keuroghelian, a small business owner, and Mike Mohill, a self-declared community advocate.
Follow Nicole Charky on Twitter: @Nicosharki.