Good morning, readers. Today is Saturday, April 12. Forecasters predict the high will be 67 and low 54 in the Glendale region.
The top headlines in your area this morning:
- A female Burroughs High School student was on the bus that collided with a FedEx freight truck in a fiery crash in Northern California on Thursday evening, killing 10 people and injuring dozens more.
- Glendale Police Department is acquiring new, digital Tasers. The Tasers will replace 150 outdated analog models, and track any calibrations, self-tests, deployment, amount of time they were used and volt output.
- Glendale brothers, The Bots, make their Coachella debut this weekend. A few years ago, brothers Anaiah and Mikaiah Lei were a couple of Glendale kids who just wanted to rock 'n' roll. It turned out they were good.
- Heads up if you happen to be on the road early Sunday morning: The Golden State (5) Freeway will be closed in both directions for two hours from Buena Vista Street and Lincoln Street, from 2 to 4 a.m. while crews remove overhead utility lines as part of a $355-million Empire interchange construction project.
- The juvenile charged in connection with the double-stabbing at the Santa Monica Pier in January recently admitted to one count of assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury and is a ward of the court, authorities said.
- The Burbank City Council on Tuesday imposed terms of employment on the Burbank city attorneys union after a year of unsuccessful negotiations, a move Burbank Mayor Emily Gabel-Luddy called “regrettable.”
- Public officials in Glendale are praising a vote by the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Thursday that passed a resolution to observe and commemorate the Armenian Genocide.
- Councilman Bob Frutos on Tuesday requested a closed-session performance evaluation of City Manager Mark Scott, a move that follows weeks of criticism by residents centered around the issue of group homes in residential neighborhoods.
-- Nicole Charky, email@example.com
Follow on Twitter: @Nicosharki.
-- Sameea Kamal, firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow on Twitter: @SameeaKamal.