Brandon Marshall stabbed by wife, released from hospital
Miami Dolphins wide receiver Brandon Marshall spent part of Saturday in the intensive care unit of Broward General Medical Center after his wife on Friday night stabbed him in the abdomen with a kitchen knife at the couple’s home in Southwest Ranches.
Michi Nogami-Marshall, 26, told authorities from the Broward County Sheriff’s Office that she stabbed her husband “out of self-defense,” according to a sheriff’s office arrest report. Police charged her with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon.
Marshall, meanwhile, was taken to the hospital, where he was released Saturday afternoon. A source close to the situation told the Sun Sentinel that Marshall, 27, is “physically fine,” downplaying the significance of his wounds. The stabbing didn’t injure any of Marshall’s vital organs, the source said.
Police booked Nagomi-Marshall at the Broward County main jail, where she was released at 2:20 p.m. Saturday after posting a $7,500 bond. A judge ordered her not to have any contact with Marshall until there is a hearing in the case.
This is the second domestic dispute between Marshall and his wife that resulted in an arrest. Marshall was arrested in March 2009 after a dispute with his wife, then his fiancee, in Atlanta.
After the latest incident Marshall originally told authorities that he’d been injured when he slipped and fell into a broken vase, according to the sheriff’s office report. Police, however, found no blood near the broken glass.
Police arrested Marshall’s wife because authorities concluded she had been “the aggressor” in a dispute between her and her husband, according to the source. After Nagomi-Marshall was placed under arrest, she admitted to the stabbing.
Amid a media frenzy Saturday that set off speculation about Marshall’s condition, his agent, Kennard McGuire, released a statement that asked for privacy.
“This is a very difficult time for Brandon and his family,” McGuire said in the statement. “Thankfully he will make a full recovery. We simply ask during this time that we respect his privacy.”
The Dolphins initially weren’t allowed official contact with Marshall given the rules of the NFL lockout but the league allowed the team to check in on his status.
“We are aware of the report,” team spokesman Harvey Greene said in a statement “And our thoughts are with Brandon at this time. We will look into the matter. But because we are not allowed to have any contact with any of our players, we will refrain from making any further comment.”
Marshall last season signed a four-year contract worth $47.5 million after the Dolphins acquired him in a trade with Denver. Last season he received $9.5 million of that contract. There is a provision in his contract that allows the Dolphins to opt out of the deal by paying him $3 million one month into the league’s new calendar year -- a timetable that is on hold because of the NFL’s lockout.
The domestic dispute represents the latest in a long line of off-the-field woes for Marshall, the former UCF standout and two-time Pro Bowl selection.
Marshall has been arrested at least six times since October 2004. The charges against him have included assault on a police officer, retail theft, suspicion of domestic violence, driving under the influence of alcohol and misdemeanor battery.
He has been arrested at least three times amid domestic disputes involving women -- including the one arrest in March 2009 that involved Nagomi-Marshall. The majority of the domestic violence charges against Marshall were reduced or dropped.
Marshall also testified that he helped instigate a fight on Jan. 1, 2007 that led to the shooting death of Darrent Williams, one of Marshall’s teammates in Denver.
During his time with the Broncos, the NFL in August 2008 suspended Marshall for three games for violating the league’s personal conduct policy. The suspension was reduced to one game upon appeal.
Denver also suspended him for the entire 2009 preseason for detrimental conduct. Marshall could face another suspension from the NFL should the league conclude that he played an adversarial role in the domestic dispute that led to his stabbing.
Marshall, who led the Dolphins last season with 86 receptions for 1,014 yards, will for the second time attempt to recover from a serious offseason injury. Before the 2009 season he smashed through a television set inside his home and suffered an arm laceration.
He initially claimed after that incident to have slipped on a McDonald’s wrapper but later said he had been engaged in “horseplay” with a family member.
When Nagomi-Marshall left jail Saturday afternoon, she declined comment to reporters who had gathered to wait for her. A man identifying himself as Marshall, meanwhile, answered a phone call Saturday afternoon from the Sun Sentinel but hung up when asked how he was feeling.
Get our high school sports newsletter
Prep Rally is devoted to the SoCal high school sports experience, bringing you scores, stories and a behind-the-scenes look at what makes prep sports so popular.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.