Suicide bomb in Afghanistan kills at least 20
A powerful early morning suicide truck bomb devastated a hospital in southern Afghanistan on Thursday, killing as many as 20 people and wounding more than 90 others, an official said.
The Taliban, who claimed responsibility for the bombing, have carried out nearly daily attacks since peace talks with the United States collapsed this month.
Thursday’s massive explosion destroyed part of the hospital in Qalat, the capital of southern Zabul province, and left a fleet of ambulances broken and battered.
Residents, many of whom had come to see their sick family members, used shawls and blankets to carry the wounded inside the destroyed building, while authorities scrambled to take the most seriously injured to hospitals in nearby Kandahar.
In the hours immediately after the explosion, there were contradictory figures of the dead and wounded. Gul Islam Seyal, the provincial governor’s spokesman, put the death toll at 12 but said authorities were sifting through the debris. Atta Jan Haqbayan, head of the provincial council, put the death toll at 20.
Morning prayers had just finished when worshippers were stunned by the ear-splitting blast that destroyed parts of a mosque adjacent to the hospital and the hospital building, said Mahboob Hakimi, a resident of Qalat.
Windows in his home more than a mile away were shattered by the blast, he said.
A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahed, said in a tweet that the target was a nearby intelligence office, which he claimed was destroyed and “tens of intelligence operatives killed/wounded.”
Haqbayan said the wall of the National Security Department building was damaged. He couldn’t say whether any personnel were among the casualties.
The provincial governor, Rahmatullah Yarmal, said many of the dead and wounded were women and children. On Twitter, Afghan National Security Forces personnel posted a picture of a 6-month-old child saying they were searching through the rubble for the parents and sought the public’s help.
President Ashraf Ghani’s spokesman, Sediq Sediqqi, condemned the attack in Zabul, tweeting that the Taliban “continue to target civilians while their leaders travel to Iran and Russia,” a reference to the Taliban negotiators recent forays seeking support abroad.
The violence has further rattled the country as it prepares for national elections later this month. Two separate bombings on Tuesday, including one that targeted Afghan President Ashraf Ghani’s election rally, killed 48 people, mostly civilians. The Taliban took responsibility for both attacks.
Suhail Shaheen, spokesman for the Taliban’s political office in Qatar, said in a tweet that a cease-fire had been part of a U.S.-Taliban deal before President Trump declared it “dead.” He did not elaborate and earlier defended Taliban attacks prior to an agreement signing, saying both sides in the conflict had carried out attacks.
Must-read stories from the L.A. Times
Get all the day's most vital news with our Today's Headlines newsletter, sent every weekday morning.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.