Are you planning a movie night with your family or friends? Bring the cinematic experience home with a tried and tested theater popcorn recipe.
One of the most attractive parts of going out to watch movies is savoring the delicacies sold at the concession stand. Who doesn’t love that warm bag buttery goodness? But what if we tell you making cinema-style popcorn at home is now possible with a popcorn machine?
If you're having a lazy day and planning to watch a movie with your loved ones at home, you can still enjoy a bag full of theater-quality popcorn. We've uncovered the most authentic recipe with all the key ingredients movie theater popcorn machines use to get that nice glow and buttery-smooth texture.
Adding Popcorn Popping Oils and Popcorn Seasoning
Most movie lovers believe that the extra amount of butter added gives theater popcorn that rich and savory flavor. We hate to break it to you - it’s not the secret ingredient.
Instead, it's a combination of two pretty common yet unfathomable ingredients that give theater popcorn its signature taste: popping oils and popcorn seasoning. Both of these ingredients are available in almost any retail store, allowing you to make theater-like popcorn in your very own popcorn machine.
Popcorn-popping oils are usually available in different varieties, including regular pure coconut oil or a unique blend of canola oil. We recommend using pure coconut oil as it's more readily available, but there's typically no noticeable flavor difference between them. This means you can opt for either, depending on the availability.
But why do you need popcorn-popping oils? These oils have a secret ingredient that gives popcorn that beautiful yellow and orange glow, known as beta-carotene. Yes, it’s the same component that gives carrots their orange hue.
Popcorn seasonings are some of the most easily accessible items in stores and come in a bunch of unique flavors, ranging from sweet and salty to spicy.
If you want that classic flavor, you should opt for a butter-flavored seasoning as that can really induce that smooth buttery taste and aroma in your popcorn. Don’t forget to sprinkle some salt while adding the kernels to the popcorn machine for a salty touch.
Homemade Recipe for Creating Theater-style Popcorn
Apart from the secret ingredients, getting your own popcorn machine at home is worth it if you’re a popcorn lover or often host movie nights. This handy kitchen appliance will deliver the perfectly popped popcorn every single time and make sure your theater-style popcorn becomes a hit among your friends and family.
But even if you don't have a popcorn machine yet, you can still try out this amazing homemade recipe with the magic ingredients to create your bowl of kernel-popped goodness at home.
How To Make Popcorn in a Microwave
- Half a cup of uncooked popcorn kernels (any brand)
- Any paper lunch bag
- One tablespoon of popcorn popping oil
- One tablespoon of popcorn seasoning
- First, put all your kernels in a small bowl, add the oil and seasoning, and mix until the kernels are fully coated.
- Add these kernels into your lunch bag and tightly secure the top of the bag to make sure no kernel pops out.
- Set the microwave to high and cook for about two and a half minutes.
- Pour the popped corn back into a bowl and let it cool down for a minute before tasting.
- Add any extra seasoning for enhanced flavors and enjoy with friends or family.
How To Make Buttery Popcorn in a Kettle
- 3.5 ounces of butter
- One cup of popcorn kernels
- Two tablespoons of oil
- Salt to taste
- Melt the butter in a pan at low heat and remove the white foam with a spoon.
- Add the oil and corn to a kettle, cover, and let it pop.
- Once the kernels are fully popped, pour them into a bowl.
- Sprinkle some salt and mix well to get theater-like popcorn.
You should have that savory theater-like popcorn if you want to enjoy a cinematic experience at home. The only thing that we miss while watching movies at home is the comforting smell of that popped goodness we enjoy at a box office hit. All you need is an authentic recipe and a popcorn machine to enjoy this delectable to give yourself a break from your monotonous routine.