Advertisement

La Cañada History: 60 years ago, public school enacted Nativity in Christmas program

La Cañada History: 60 years ago, public school enacted Nativity in Christmas program
Sixth-grade students at Oak Grove Elementary School present the Nativity during the school's 1957 Christmas program. (File Photo)

Ten Years Ago

A proposed remodel and expansion of the Vons market then in the Plaza de La Cañada (where Gelson's operates today) gained the approval of the city's planning and design commissions in December 2007 and was moving forward to the City Council level. In addition to expanding the store to nearly 42,000 square feet from its existing 26,107-square-foot size, plans called for tearing down the bank building that sat at a corner of the site.

Advertisement

Twenty Years Ago

Descanso Gardens and Los Angeles County officials signed a 20-year agreement that would eventually allow Descanso to have complete control at the local level. For the first 15 years of the contract, the county would make financial payments to support the gardens, gradually reducing the annual funds until, during the final five years the Descanso Gardens Guild would be responsible for shouldering all costs. Established by Manchester Boddy, Descanso became a county property in 1953.

Advertisement

Thirty Years Ago

An informal memorial of flowers and greens appeared on the stump of a 200-year-old California live oak tree, a landmark in the middle of the street on Santa Inez Way near Hampton Road that fell during a fierce windstorm on Dec. 12, 1987. Some of the street's residents hoped to convince the city to plant another tree in its place instead of paving over the area.

Forty Years Ago

Maria Lynn Caron, then a La Cañada High School senior, was crowned the 1978 Rose Queen before a capacity crowd gathered for the Coronation Ball at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium. Her court included two other La Cañadans, Kathleen Graves and Lou Ellen Harryman.

Fifty Years Ago

The La Cañada Youth House (community center) received two gifts in December 1967: a piano from Mrs. William Bittner and a television set donated by Elizabeth Jones.

Sixty Years Ago

The sixth-grade students at a La Cañada public school, Oak Grove Elementary, presented the Nativity during their 1957 Christmas program. The campus was closed down years later due to declining enrollment and now houses the Child Educational Center and Crestview Preparatory School.

Compiled from the Valley Sun archives by Carol Cormaci.

Advertisement
Advertisement