La Cañada History: Jack Longpre retrieved errant balls for new driving range

Ten Years Ago

Caltrans agreed to allow the use of a utility overpass on the Foothill (210) Freeway as a pedestrian, bicycle and equestrian trail so that it could provide a link between the trail system from the Descanso Gardens area north, toward the Angeles National Forest.

Twenty Years Ago

Numerous instances of vehicle windows being shot out by vandals using BB guns were reported to the Crescenta Valley Sheriff's Station by La Cañada Flintridge residents.

Thirty Years Ago

Rain-slicked pavement was blamed when a local on-duty sheriff's deputy and a Montrose woman were both injured in a traffic collision between their two cars on Foothill Boulevard at Lasheart Drive.

Forty Years Ago

La Cañadans formed a local trails council to maintain the recreational trails already in use and to develop new ones. Their organizational meeting was sponsored by the La Cañada-Flintridge Community Development Committee. The interim chairmanship was accepted by Carmita Frost.

Fifty Years Ago

Jack Longpre, a member of La Cañada Country Club, donned scuba gear to dive into the water hazards on the golf course and collect golf balls. It was reported that he retrieved more than 4,000 errant balls, which the club was putting to use on its new driving range.

Sixty Years Ago

In need of another elementary school campus due to a population boom here, the La Cañada school board in 1953 ordered the appraisal of the 9.49-acre Avery property on Palm Drive and requested that a new survey of school sites be made by the Regional Planning Commission.

--

Compiled from the Valley Sun archives by Carol Cormaci

Copyright © 2019, La Cañada Valley Sun
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
68°