Life and Arts

La Cañada History: Kogi fans left empty-handed when cops send truck away 10 years ago this week

Line up at Kogi BBQ, Korean-Mexican queen of L.A. food truck culture
Ten years ago this week a Kogi truck, shown in a file photo at an unidentified location, paid its first visit to La Cañada Flintridge, parking on Foothill Boulevard in front of Memorial Park after having tweeted out to its fans the time and place it would be there. City Hall, then just steps away from the park, called on sheriff’s personnel to send the truck packing because it didn’t have a business license.
(File Photo / Los Angeles Times)

Ten Years Ago
A popular Los Angeles business, the Kogi BBQ taco truck, was told by sheriff’s deputies to leave La Cañada Flintridge on the first night it attempted to sell its unique Korean-Mexican fusion fare here. A city official said the order for the truck’s removal from Foothill Boulevard near Memorial Park was issued because it didn’t have a LCF business license. “This was our first time in La Cañada,” a Kogi spokesperson said in an email to a Valley Sun reporter. “We were told to skedaddle by the cops.”

Twenty Years Ago
A 2000 Volkswagen Beetle was featured in a raffle to raise funds for the La Cañada Flintridge Educational Foundation. There were 750 tickets offered at $50 each. The car was paid for by eight sponsors, so the entire proceeds of the raffle were earmarked for the nonprofit foundation that supports La Cañada’s public schools.

Thirty Years Ago
It was learned that the Ralphs market then located in the west side of La Cañada (where a Ross Dress for Less store now operates) would be moving to La Crescenta, where it would take over building spaces that had been occupied by an Alpha Beta market and a Builders Emporium.

Forty Years Ago
Three arson fires broke out in succession in the 4800 block of Commonwealth Avenue in pre-dawn hours on a January day in 1980 but were small in nature and quickly extinguished. Sheriff’s deputies called to the scene reported a Molotov cocktail was thrown at a home during one of the acts but fell on the lawn instead and was put out by the resident. Later, firefighters from Station 82 were called, as brush and a trash can were ablaze. The third call came shortly after they returned to their station. On their next trip to the neighborhood they discovered a Christmas tree that had been sent against a wooden fence was on fire.


Fifty Years Ago
About 50 La Cañada High School baseball players went door-to-door collecting empty bottles to turn in for cash to help finance the first Crescenta-Cañada Baseball Tournament. LCHS and Crescenta Valley High were co-sponsoring the six-team tournament to be held on four weekend days starting in late February 1970. The other four schools participating were St. Francis, Glendale, La Salle and Crespi high schools.

Sixty Years Ago
The public and private schools in La Cañada reported that more than 17% of the combined student enrollments had been absent during a week in January 1960 due to a fast-spreading flu virus. Hardest hit locally were the private St. Bede School, Flintridge Preparatory School and St. Francis High School.

Compiled from the Valley Sun archives.
Support our coverage by becoming a digital subscriber