Ladies, you are now in shoe heaven because there are so many colors and styles that the challenge will be what to choose. For health and comfort, the highest heels are not easy to wear. Beware, although they do slim and flatter your legs, they also make your orthopedic surgeon smile because you may be the “constant patient.” The following is more information on the various types of shoes and how you may be able to wear these wild fashions.
Other current shoe trends: mostly casual — short boots, gladiator/flat sandals. Dressier styles — strappy styles and pointy-toe pumps.
• Loafers and flats: worn for casual purposes; pumps are worn with suits or dresses for dressier occasions; and for the dressiest occasions, high-heeled sandals are worn with refined material like silk.
• Warm-weather parties: Wear casual wedges; for dressier occasions, wear high-heeled sandals.
• Corporate standards: require black, navy, dark brown, gray or beige pumps; no sandals.
• Boots — knee-high or just-below knee: Flat or heeled boots will elongate legs and keep legs warm in cold weather; black or brown boots can be worn with tights, short skirts or mini-skirts. Ankle boots need to be worn with pants or tights and skirt; they can make legs look heavier.
• Lighter weight shoes: Require lighter weight fabrics. (Example: sling-backs with silk dress.)
• Chunky shoes: Wear with pants or heavy-weighted mini skirts with darker-toned tights.
• Bright suede heels: An instant update with neutrals, or bright dressing if tall and daring.
• Sandals: Require well-manicured feet; high-heel sandals need toenail polish.
• Wet shoes: air dry wet shoes; tight shoes can be loosened by misting shoe stretch spray on the inside of the shoe.( www.improvementscatalog.com.)
• Flats: Crystal-studded, metallic, satin; can enhance jeans, mini-skirts with tights, or satin skirt.
• High-heeled oxfords: Reincarnation of the granny-shoe with shoe laces; great with heavier fabric, feminine clothing and to-the-knee skirts.
• Bright suede heels: very high heels that can be worn with neutral slacks or skirt. If you are tall and daring, bright clothing can be worn.
• Peep-toe pumps or sandals: Great with colored or black opaque tights; feminine look.
• Metallic sandals: A bohemian, beach, or evening look; Greek, Indian, ’20s, metallic, sequins, buckles, up-the-leg twists, swirls and geometrics.
Part 3 will be more practical advice on shoes, and will conclude next week.