Not getting the most out of your stand mixer? Here are some tips on the most useful attachments to add more versatility to your kitchen.
If you own a stand mixer or are thinking about getting one, you might be wondering what kinds of accessories you can get to make the most out of it. There are a few different types of attachments that can be very helpful, depending on what kinds of foods you like to make. Here are some of the most popular and useful accessories for stand mixers:
- Whisk attachment: This is a great attachment for whipping egg whites and cream as well as making meringues.
- Paddle attachment: This is the most basic and commonly used attachment. It's great for mixing cakes, cookies, frostings, and other similar things.
- Dough hook: As the name suggests, this accessory is great for kneading dough. It can be used for bread, pizza dough, and more.
There are also a few other attachments that are less common but can still be very useful, such as a meat grinder or pasta maker. With the right accessories, your stand mixer can be an incredibly versatile and helpful kitchen appliance.
What Can You Do With a Stand Mixer?
There are many stand mixers on the market today, but they all usually have the same basic parts and functions. A stand mixer is designed to stand upright on your kitchen counter, and the base holds the mixing bowl in place. The motor resides in the top section, which is also where the attachments are connected. True to their names, the mixing paddle or beater is used to mix ingredients together, while the dough hook is used to knead dough.
Most stand mixers come with a variety of attachments, and there's always the option to purchase additional ones. Each attachment is suited for its own unique purpose: for example, some attachments are better for blending or mixing, while others can be used to shred meat or chop vegetables. Experimentation is merely part of the fun.
With the right attachments, a stand mixer can be used to prepare nearly any recipe you can think of. Beyond mixing, the right stand mixer accessory will allow you to chop/shred ingredients, knead or blend batters and doughs, cut pasta, or even make ice cream. Accessories can make your stand maker a very versatile kitchen appliance, ideal for completing a variety of cooking and baking tasks.
Popular Accessories for a Stand Mixer
There are three attachments that typically come with every stand mixer: a whisk and/or whisks, a dough hook, and a paddle.
The whisk is great for whipping egg whites or cream; the dough hook is great for kneading bread and pastry dough; and the paddle attachment for mixing cake batter or cookie dough. Together, these stand mixer accessories can help bring your favorite recipes to life.
Uncommon but Useful Attachments
If you have a stand mixer, you're likely aware of the basic attachments that come with it. But did you know that there are a whole host of other attachments that can make your stand mixer even more versatile? These include the meat grinder, pasta maker, and ice cream maker attachments.
The meat grinder attachment is great for grinding up meat for just about any purpose - burgers, sausages, meatballs, you name it. While it won't replace a dedicated meat grinder for large batches, it's a great way to get more mileage out of your stand mixer.
The pasta maker attachment helps you make fresh pasta from scratch, so you won't need to rely on dried pasta from the store. While some styles will still be out of reach, a pasta maker attachment will help you cut most of the popular types.
As you might have guessed, the ice cream maker attachment is perfect for making homemade ice cream. This will eliminate most of the manual labor associated with making ice cream at home, and it's a great parlor trick for family gatherings.
Tips for Using Your Stand Mixer’s Attachments
Now that you've got your stand mixer, it's time to get the most out of it! Here are a few tips to use your attachments well:
- If you're using the whisk attachment, start on a low speed and gradually increase the speed as the ingredients come together. This will prevent the mixture from splattering.
- When using the paddle attachment, scrape the sides of the bowl periodically to make sure all of the ingredients are getting mixed in.
- The dough hook requires special care, and not everything is obvious. First, make sure you knead the dough on a lightly floured surface before putting it in the mixer. While this may seem like a redundant step, it will prevent the dough from sticking to the hook attachment - something you want to avoid at all costs. Not only will this result in uneven mixing, but the portions that stick to the hook will create inconsistent and tough bits in your final product.
- Finally, don't be afraid to experiment with the attachments! There are all sorts of uses for every single accessory beyond the instruction manual. For example, the shredder attachment is great for making homemade coleslaw or shredded chicken. Get creative and have fun!
These are just some of the accessories you can get for your stand mixer to make it even more of a practical kitchen appliance! With these attachments, you can do everything from making pasta to grinding meat — and everything in between. So, start mixing up some deliciousness with these handy tools!