Middle East
Fortune struck for these Syrian migrants, but can they make it in California?
Los Angeles Times

Burbank house fire caused by faulty chimney, official says

Burbank fire officials have determined that a house attic fire on Tuesday originated from a faulty fireplace, causing roughly $60,000 in damage, authorities said.

Of those damages, roughly $50,000 was structural and $10,000 in possessions, said Burbank Fire Capt. Peter Hendrickson.

Firefighters responded to the two-story house in the 500 block of Stanford Road two minutes after a neighbor reported smoke coming from the home at 11:28 a.m.

“It didn’t take too long to knock it down,” Hendrickson said Tuesday.

To avoid faulty fireplace fires, homeowners should have their fireplaces cleaned and examined by chimney sweeps each year, Hendrickson added.

-- Alene Tchekmedyian, Times Community News

Follow Alene Tchekmedyian on Google+ and on Twitter: @atchek.


Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times