* 1. Burbank boys’ cross-country team places 13th in state race: For
only the second time in school history, the Bulldogs made a run to
the CIF-State Cross-Country Championship. Not only did Burbank --
coached by Bob Shaw and Sahsa Vujic -- show up, but it placed 13th of
the 113 schools that took part.
* 2. Bell-Jeff girls’ basketball team comes back in semifinal: The
Bryan Camacho-coached Guards -- paced by Jennae Peoples -- rallied
from a one-point deficit with 3:53 remaining, scoring nine of the
contest’s final 11 points, against L.A. Windward to win the Division
IVA game, 57-51.
* 3. Burbank boys’ water polo team finally defeats Burroughs: It
took the Bulldogs 11 years, but they finally beat their cross-town
rivals in an Almont League match. Paced by Todd Aghazadeh’s five
goals, Burbank came out on top, 10-8, in October. The Bulldogs --
coached by Andre Setaghian -- made it a season sweep with an 11-6 win
against Burroughs in November.
* 4. Burbank boys’ cross-country team places seventh in CIF Final:
Behind runners Kyle Ivie and Stratos Christianakis, the Bulldogs had
a fine showing in the premier Southern California meet.
* 5. Burroughs boys’ basketball team hoops beats Fullerton in CIF
playoffs: Not too many expected the Indians to be in the Southern
Section Division IIA playoffs, let along be playing in the second
round. However, led by Joey Paysinger, Peter St. Hubert and Kris
Jones, the Art Sullivan-coached Indians defeated Fullerton, 65-56.
* 6. Burbank girls’ basketball team downs Montclair Prep: The
Bulldogs had a difficult task with tough Van Nuys Montclair Prep and
USC-bound Eshaya Murphy in a Bellarmine-Jefferson Holiday Classic
game. However, behind 40 points from Christine Kepenekian, Ricky
Hawthorne’s team pulled a 61-58 upset.
* 7. Providence girls’ basketball team defeats No. 1: Coach Andrew
Bencze’s Pioneers came to play in a Liberty League game against
Encino Holy Martyrs, which was the top-ranked team in CIF Southern
Section Division VAA. Behind Megan Campbell’s 14 points and 15 rebounds, and 11 points from Selina Tech, Providence came out on top,
* 8. Burbank baseball team gets league win against Canyon: For the
first time in five years, the Bulldogs won a Foothill League game
against the Cowboys in eight innings, 5-3. Coach Paul Marietti’s
squad was paced by Anthony Mazziotti and pitcher Ken Ngorayawongse.
Burbank also defeated Saugus to open the league campaign.
* 9. Burbank boys’ swimming team places second at league meet:
Coach Adam Wright’s squad made a statement by finishing behind only
Hart in Foothill League competition.
* 10. Burbank girls’ soccer team defeats Hart: Coach Savio
Silveria’s Bulldogs won its first Foothill League match in four years
with a 2-1 victory. Jeanette Gonzalez scored in the 68th minute to
give Burbank the win and Carolyn Chrzan tallied the team’s first